Lake Sturgeon Stewardship and Enhancement Program
The vision of the Lake Sturgeon Stewardship and Enhancement Program is: "To maintain and enhance Lake Sturgeon populations in areas affected by Manitoba Hydro's operations, now and in the future." This vision will be achieved by ensuring that Manitoba Hydro's current activities do not contribute to a decline or jeopardize the sustainability of sturgeon populations in Manitoba.
NSC's role in the project:
- Since the program's infancy, assisted Manitoba Hydro with the design and implementation of the Lake Sturgeon Stewardship and Enhancement Program.
- Conducted gap analysis and species at risk scoping to inform initial program direction.
- Completed biological inventories (juvenile abundance and recruitment, adult population and spawning) in reaches throughout Manitoba, vastly improving the knowledge of Lake Sturgeon stocks within the province.
- Evaluated stocking initiatives at several locations, including on the upper Nelson River, where results have informed hatchery rearing to focus on age-1 release to dramatically improve survival.
- Quantified habitat in various reaches of the Winnipeg and Nelson rivers.
- Produced technical and synthesis reports.
- Provided expertise at scientific conferences and stakeholder meetings.